Resources, links and other goodies...
Info session topics
Our information sessions are based on topics from the Digital Business website:
|Getting online||Creating a website||Marketing|
|e-Commerce||Security and legal||Tools|
Industry specific help
- Digital Business Kits - Oodles of help specifically for your industry - is yours here?
- Tourism - checkout the Tourism Tropical North Queensland (TTNQ) site - make sure you link up with their social media channels (Download printable flyer: Hot tips in social media from TTNQ)
- Community Groups - social media for landcare groups including social media kit
- Teleworking - Tools for working away from the office - how to use online tools like email, instant messaging, VoIP and video conference to work anywhere
How do I...
- Try one or both of these to assess your current online performance:
- the Digital Health Check - Australian Business Training Solutions, who run similar DEP programs in Greater Sydney and other regions, have a great online tool to help you measure your current online activity and provides you with a comprehensive PDF document with suggestions for improvements.
- Digital Economy Readiness Check - This tool has been developed by RDA to assist you with preparing your business for the broadband and future and the digital economy. It is designed to get you to think about what your customers will want in the future, what your business needs to do to deliver on your customers' needs, and how to go about building the processes in your business to deliver on those needs.
- Define your goals - from http://www.digitalbusiness.gov.au
- Developing your e-business plan - from 'Winning ebusiness online'
- Download a template business plan from http://www.digitalbusiness.gov.au
- Need help with your new business in general? visit the Advance Cairns Business Enterprise Centre for more assistance
Use social media
- Why you need a Facebook fan page and not a personal page for your organisation
- How to run a Facebook competition - legally!
- Why use Facebook for your business - 20 profitable facts from Bianca Board
- Using Facebook for Business - Facebook's own tips
- The whys and wherefores of Facebook's News Feed - what makes a post turn up on your client's newsfeed?
- What do I post on Facebook? - some great ideas for posts
- Social media trends - Talkwalker
- Social Media Dashboard - Hootsuite, managing your social media all in one spot
- Twitter Trends map
- Promoting your organisation on Facebook - some pointers
- Your 18-minute-a-day social media management plan! from Hootsuite
Get on Google Places for Business and local directories
- Start here - Google for business
- Getting started on Google Places for Business - a great article from Amanda DiSilvestro
- Types of local pages in Google+ - the official google explanation
- Google Places for Business vs Google+ Local - confused? Amanda bravely tackles this knotty question too; have a cup of coffee before you read it
- Make sure you are listed on the relevant reputable local directories - most have a 'free' level:
- https://www.yellowpages.com.au (https://www.sensis.com.au/sensis-free-listing)
Learn about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
Create a website
- Using weebly to create a free website - just one example of a free website builder/host
- Kate Russell's video guide - build your own free Weebly website in just 15 minutes
- Andrews Upholstery & Swag supplies - check out this example of a Weebly website built by a participant in the Geraldton Digital Enterprise Program
- The Beginner's Guide to Getting Online - excellent summary report including introductory website creation from Flying Solo
- Check your links - this free online tool is one of many that will go through your website and check to see if your links are working or if they point to dead ends!
- WooCommerce is a free WordPress eCommerce plugin to help you sell anything.
- This great article from Social Media Examiner summarizes the basics of Google Analytics - how to see what is working on your website - and what isn't!
Start a blog
- Google has a free tool for creating blogs called... Blogger
- What you need to know about starting a blog - from Web 123's Andrew Coyne
Create and run a Forum
- Check out the free service Forumotion
Get social - forums and discussion groups to join
- Flying Solo - Popular small business forum for Australian businesses
- Cairns Business Network - a group on LinkedIn
Create an email newsletter
- Mailchimp - free for up to 2000 subscribers
Find, create and use images
- Find free images and share your own at Pixabay
Use a password manager
- short fun video about using a password manager - what does it do?
- longer less-fun video with more detail about how the password manager works
Learn about security and legal issues; stay safe online
- Seminar slides from Donna Patane's talk (no speakers notes sorry) January 2015
- Broadband for Seniors - cybersafety links
Other useful stuff
- Light Image Resizer - just want to quickly resize an image? Install this nifty little program to simply 'right-click' on an image and make it whatever size you need
- Online image editor - or just use Paint which is already on your computer (or Gimp if you're keen to do higher level image manipulation - not for the fainthearted!)
- Create your own QRcodes - things you can scan to send your customers or volunteers to your website, facebook page etc. There are many other uses too. they are easy to create, free and you can print them off and display them on your tables or counter for people to scan with their smartphones. They'll need a barcode scanning app but fortunately many people have them, they're free and readily downloadable from the App store or Google Play.
Top Sites to check out today
- Digital Economy Cairns - ICT industry support in FNQ - The Digital Economy Cairns group is a network of like-minded professionals who are passionate about promoting the ICT industry up here in the tropics.
- The Queensland Government's Business and Industry Portal - http://www.business.qld.gov.au/
- Driving business online (by PayPal) - https://www.drivingbusinessonline.com.au/
- Keep informed - check out the Department of Communication's Digital Business website's blog
- TAFE Western's Virtual Advisor Program - lots of great courses to help you get online - up to 4 hours free online tuition
- Advance Cairns Business Enterprise Centre - an initiative of the Commonwealth of Australia and through partnership with Advance Cairns offers low cost Advisory Services to support small business within the Cook, Cairns, Cassowary and Tablelands Regions.
- Tourism and Events Queensland - digital ready program
- Tourism & Events Queensland have a series of practical webinars on all aspects of social media and marketing.
- BiT – Business IT - Hints, tips, news articles, app reviews and more for business in the digital age. Subscribe to their regular e-news to keep across emerging technology.
- Broadband for the Tropics - Can’t get enough tropical tips around your high speed broadband? Check out this Townsville-based mob.
- NBN Co - Starting point for information about the National Broadband Network
- Broadband Today Alliance
- Broadband and your business - This guide provides an overview of the NBN in Queensland and information for businesses looking to establish or develop their online presence.
- Case studies of high-speed broadband in business